Lauren’s testimony of seeing light through a cloud of depression.
Lauren was the daughter of alcoholics and struggled with depression all her life. She tried to find her worth in overachieving and put on a happy face until a coworker noticed that there was something more she was trying to keep hidden.
Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:
- Feeling sad or having a depressed mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Increase in purposeless physical activity (e.g., hand-wringing or pacing) or slowed movements and speech (actions observable by others)
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide
Symptoms must last at least two weeks for a diagnosis of depression.