A consistent prayer life is essential for all believers!
As we look at the life of Jesus, we see that there were times when He slipped away and went to the mountain to pray. After that, He would go about His daily ministry of healing, preaching, and performing miracles (Matthew 14:23, Mark 1:35, Luke 3:21).
For us to be effective as Christians and demonstrate the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives, we need to spend quiet time in prayer.
When we stop praying, we allow the devil to take root in our lives, families, neighborhoods, schools, and cities. We have the power through our prayers to bring about change.
When Daniel was in Babylon, he prayed three times a day, and the favor of God was upon his life in everything he did.
Here are five things you can do to be consistent, disciplined, and focused in your prayer time:
- Offer Praise and thanksgiving to God as you enter into His presence in your prayer time. You can use music or say praise and adoration unto Him. God loves when we sing praises unto Him from a clean and pure heart.
- Read the Word of God daily and speak His word when you pray. “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11 KJV).
- Get a prayer journal where you can write out or doodle your prayers if you are finding it difficult to express yourself with words.
- Have a prayer partner or prayer group where you all meet regularly and intercede on behalf of others. This helps to improve your prayer life as you learn from others, and you have someone to whom you are accountable.
- Fasting helps your prayer life to be more effective in breaking down strongholds and barriers that may be causing your prayer life to decline. “Howbeit, this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting” (Matthew 17:21 KJV).
In conclusion, if you want to see the transforming power of Jesus in your lives, you need to spend quality time in prayer. You can’t have a successful relationship with someone if you are not spending quality time communicating with them. Likewise, if we want to see results in our lives, we need to be consistent with our prayers.
A daily conversation with God will build our relationship with Him and keep us connected.